世界在破晓的瞬间前埋葬于深渊的黑暗

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Offended!

People get offended so easily.

So I put two photos of dead animals (a slaughtered pig and a slaughtered goat) that I took while in a marketplace in Penang (Malaysia) a few years back on the doors of my office, and the next thing you know, several people who have offices in the same building emailed me (well, actually they emailed my friend who then passed the message to me) that they found the pictures offensive and hope that I remove them.

Offensive? Don't you eat meat? I don't think I am the only non-vegetarian in this building.

It always occurs to me as strange that people would find the pictures of dead animals disgusting, yet they have no qualms about munching down a medium rare steak. Maybe in societies where we are so many levels removed from the need to prepare your own food, we now find it offensive to think about dead animals. What? Do you think bacon grows on trees?

It is not so much the faux-offendedness that irks me, but the hypocrisy behind this.

Nevertheless, I did removed the photos because I don't want to be confrontational. Next week I will put up photos of animals copulating.

No comments: