世界在破晓的瞬间前埋葬于深渊的黑暗

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Some Thoughts About Religions

I have always told my friends that I have the greatest contempt for religion. Not that I can disprove the existence of god, or that I think that faith is necessarily a bad thing. Maybe I should qualify myself by saying that my contempt for religions are limited to those religion that would deny empirical evidence just because it goes against their dogma. Human beings as a civilization progress because we improve on our ideas, not because we try to fit new findings onto old ideas.
I have also argued a lot of times with my christian friends that if I choose to live my life as righteous as I hope to do so, by being good to my fellow man, and by treating everybody with due respect, does that not make me, to a certain extent, a christian. But often I am rebuffed by them, as they claim I can never be a christian because I do not treat things written in the bible as the gospel truth. I think christianity as a religion has its flaws, and it also has its merits, just like any other religion, ideology or concepts. However, it is sad that the majority of the religious right focuses on these flawed and outdated teachings rather than that is truly of merit. To quote Mohandas Gandhi: "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
Of course, I used christianity as an example here. The above comments could apply to any other religion.

No comments: