世界在破晓的瞬间前埋葬于深渊的黑暗

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Demetri Martin -- Trendspotting: SATs

Around ten years ago, I have never been a fan of the so-called movement of piquing the student's interest in learning using computers. To me, that seemed more like a fad rather than really helping students to learn. Call me old fashion, but I do think that the best way to make students learn is the satisfaction of learning and knowing something new. Don't get me wrong, I am not for the method of drilling students to memorize by rote memory (well, there are some basic things that they need to remember by rote, but most of it you do it in primary school). I think teaching should be innovative. Teachers should always integrate knowledge that students are attempting to learn to things that are relevant to them in real life, or things that they are interested in. There are enough researches in memory and motivation to suggest that this would aid learning in the long term. But repackaging the same boring materials in a new medium, that adds nothing new once the novelty wears off. I mean, what is the difference if you are learning by rote using books or from information off a computer screen??

This is a clip from a recent The Daily Show with Jon Stewart episode, where Demetri Martin satires the points that I make above...




The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - The Most Trusted Name in Fake News

No comments: