世界在破晓的瞬间前埋葬于深渊的黑暗

Thursday, July 28, 2005

I'll Believe It When I Don't See It

For the past two days, I've been bombarded by criticisms in Lianhe ZaoBao, all because I wrote an article on 24th July 2005 questioning the validity of chinese medicinal practices basing their theories on the iffy concept of "Qi" (i.e., what is known as elan vital under the concept of vitalism). Frankly, I had more or less expected this backlash, especially from those involved in chinese medicinal practices. This was because my own parents, my relatives, my friends, and one of my teacher had criticised my views in private after reading my articles.

There are a few interesting things that I learn from the whole thing though:

(1) People in general prefer to believe in the metaphysical, in the mysterious, in something that cannot be empirically measured or seen. "Qi" is one of them. UFOs another. People seem to be comfortable when something remains unexplainable, and feels uncomfortable when we try to explain these so-called mysterious phenomenons in simpler terms. The common reaction I get is: But that can't be so simple, can it? There must be a more complex explanation for it!!! Wow, talk about reverse logic. It's like that Mark Eitzel song: If the truth don't make you happy, what will you do?

(2) Most of us just feel uncomfortable with challenges to deep-rooted beliefs. My parents adviced me against replying to the criticisms levelled on me (hell, I replied back anyway), just because they thought I have nothing to stand on in my argument. Their opinion goes something like this, "But chinese medicine have been around for thousand of years! There must be some truth to it! If there wasn't any truth to it, it won't be around for so long, right?" Yeah, last I heard stupidity had been around for ages as well, but that doesn't make those who have this trait much cleverer.

(3) How people can just ignore the validity of your argument when emotions are involved. I've been branded as someone who doesn't understand the chinese culture, someone who doesn't value tradition, and it has been insinuated that I am a traitor to my own race. Wow, just because I pointed out a flaw that I thought was pretty obvious in this culture, now suddenly I am anti-chinese culture. Talk about a slippery slope.

Anyway, the whole thing is over now (I guess). Not that I care what others think about me, especially those traditional chinese medicine practitioners. Oh well, it does mean I probably have to keep my identity a secret if I ever go to an accupunturist or any traditional chinese medicine practitioners, next thing you know I'll have needles sticking out of my butt or be forced to swallow some horrible concoction made out of frog's eyes, goat's liver and dead cockroaches.

Spot the apparent paradox in the last sentence of the previous paragraph.

1 comment:

陶宗旺(本名周伟立) said...

Well, how does one refute an empiricist? Ought we reject any argument that is not entirely based on empirically measured or seen evidence? What about mental states, qualia, imagination, Big Bang theories etc...

Anyway something interesting which I found out recently, the concept of 'Qi' originated from Iran!!!