世界在破晓的瞬间前埋葬于深渊的黑暗

Monday, November 07, 2005

1984

1984
i was six years of age
just a year before enrolment
into school and education
my childhood memories consisted of
loafing all day in the playground

my father would tell me not
to pout and cry in protest
whenever it gets dark
whenever i have to return home
because the police
will arrest if you don't obey
daddy would always say
and I’m always frightened

1984
when i was a bit older than six
and the nation was approaching nineteen
i would sing in delight the songs that unite
the recollections of my childhood melodies
joyous and without purpose

as i watch men in green matching
from my television set, commands were
shouted but i'm disinterested, only
waiting for the fireworks, nothing
could tear me away, not even
my mother’s call for dinner

1984
as i slowly approached seven
i couldn't understand the commotion
about this thing they called election
i've tried to ask my parents, but
they did not try to explain
telling me i was too young
to understand, too innocent
to comprehend, my father whispered
lightly into my ears and my mother
wore a disapproving look that dispelled
all queries and curiosity

my only memory of that incident
vague and maybe unreal, perhaps
was this headline on the newspaper
saying something about someone
winning some unknown fight, somewhere
without a challenge, i remember the stern
smiling face and joyous eyes on the
photograph on the front page of the
papers, and i knew who he was and
i think, possibly, i wondered if he
knew who i was, in 1984*

* in the general elections in december 1984, the then pm lee walked over in his constituency for the first time in history.

No comments: