世界在破晓的瞬间前埋葬于深渊的黑暗

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Offensive Text at Yasukuni Shrine


Prior to visiting the shrine, I was warned by my friend Ah Khoo that I might find some of the text inside the museum next to the shrine offensive... This is the description of the Japanese soldiers involvement in the Nanking Massacre (for those not familiar, see here)... I know it is a bit blurry, so I will transcript it down here:

The Nanking Incident

After the Japanese surrounded Nanking in December 1937, Gen. Matsui Iwane distributed maps to his men with foreign settlements and the Safety Zone marked in red ink. Matsui told them they were to maintain strict millitary discipline and that anyone committing unlawful acts would be severely punished. The defeated Chinese rushed to Xiaguan and they were completely destroyed. The Chinese soldiers disguised in civilian clothes were severely prosecuted.


No wonder they forbade visitors to take photos (like I fucking care).... Right, so all the 150,000 Chinese civilians the Japanese imperial army massacred were 'soldiers disguised as civilians'. As an ethnic Chinese, this is like a fucking slap in the face. No, I do not hate Japanese for being Japanese, but I dislike them (or at least their leaders) for refusing to own up to their atrocities in the past. Man up like the Germans did... then you might start earning the respect of other Asian nations. 

And oh, just as a side note, according to my friend Khoo (who can read Japanese), the Japanese text are actually much worse... They actually toned it down in the English  translation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, ridiculous. This makes me mad.