世界在破晓的瞬间前埋葬于深渊的黑暗

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Werewolf


Recently, a werewolf was sighted amongst the peaceful HDB estate of a certain neighborhood. Not just your regular type of werewolf, you know, but it almost seems certain that it is a color wolf (literary translated from Chinese, meaning lecher) as well. Not surprising to deduce, since all its victims were females whom had their breast and vulva attacked, badly clawed and bruised. As I said, not your regular werewolf who is interested in mutilating bodies of unknown victims, regardless of gender, and throwing their body parts all over the streets, but a color wolf who molests females only and who is not even interested in mutilating their body. Not a bit, not interested in even pulling out a finger, biting off an ear or just even tearing out strands of hair. No, all it was interested in was the breasts and the vulva. A colorful werewolf, I must say, and it is interesting to just wonder whether the rest of the werewolf community would view him as a disgrace. I could almost imagine two normal werewolves talking about this deviant one over some freshly severed human heads.

"What, you mean that bugger don't even attempt to seriously injure his victims?? Are you sure he is one of us, or just a crossbreed between a dog or whatever?"

"I don't know, maybe he has some problem with his mind. Doesn’t he know how a werewolf should behave? Molesting human victims?? Next thing you know he'll start turning into vegetarian or something."

"Yeah, better not go too close to him next time, if not others would think we are strange in the head too...."

"My sentiments exactly."

So on and so forth.

* * *

"So what makes you think the werewolf is a lecher?" I asked my friend.

It was a sunny afternoon; he was brewing some kind of green tea in his kitchen. Michael Stipe’s voice was booming out from the speakers to the tune of ‘What's The Frequency, Kenneth?’. I could never catch the lyrics of that song.

"Why not, it only attacks females, and apparently, sexually."

"Then why can't it be a lesbian? A lesbian color wolf.... that'll explain why it only attacks females too, right?"

"Well," my friend said thoughtfully as he laid down the freshly brewed green tea on the table, " your theory would stand, but for the fact that no males were attacked and mutilated. That would have happened if the werewolf were a lesbian. All lesbians hate males."

"That’s a bigotry remark." I retorted

"It’s my personal opinion." he retorted back.

"How would you know? You are not a lesbian, not even a female. How would you understand how a lesbian feels?"

"Well, neither are you."

"Gees, that's sort of true."

So with the conversation hanging in midair like a boneless jellyfish, we continued drinking the green tea. Not that it was nice, but that was the only drink available in his house when I paid a surprise visit, and the prospect of plain water didn't appeal to me.

"Well, why did it have to be a werewolf?" my friend asked.

"Pardon?"

"I mean, nobody actually saw the werewolf, right? And even the victims only saw the big hairy hands, a big hairy face and a big hairy body. For all we know, it could have been a genetically flawed vampire who had hair growing out of every part of his body."

"A vampire wouldn't have claws." I reasoned.

"Okay, so it may not have been a vampire, but it could be something else, right? Why a werewolf?"

"You’re being silly here, everybody is saying that it is a werewolf, the police, the medical experts, the religious people, the psychic and all the victims. It is all over the newspaper. You can’t argue with that."

"Well, at one point of time, everybody thought the world was flat." my friend was trying to beat me with his logic.

"Well, if it can be another monster, then why not a lesbian?"

"Ah, fuck off."

"So what's the thing with lesbians, huh? You got rejected by a girl who is a lesbian?"

"I told you to fuck off."

"Just drink the bloody tea."

* * *

When I received the phone call from my girlfriend, my alarm clock beside the bed showed that it was 2 am in the morning.

"Okay, look here, I’m really tired, can I call you tomorrow?" I mumbled groggily.

"Look, I’ll just ask you one question and I’ll hang up the phone. Do you want to marry me?"

I looked at the clock again. 2 am, I wasn't mistaken. I touched my face, it is there, I’m not dreaming.

"Look, can we just leave everything to tomorrow? I really tired and weary here and now what I want to do is to sleep. I’ll call you again the first thing I wake up tomorrow."

"I want an answer now,” my girlfriend demanded.

I hung up the phone.

Five minutes later, the phone rang again. More sober this time, I picked it up.

"Okay, please don't say anything and hear out what I’m going to say. It won't take more than five minutes,” she said.

I nodded, but realizing that she can't see me over the phone, I gave a grunt of acknowledgement.

"Today, well actually it was yesterday evening, we went out for dinner together, and after that you dropped me off below my flat before driving off, right?"

I grunted.

"Well, after you were gone, I walked towards the lift, took the elevator up to the tenth floor, and started walking towards my apartment, and did you know what I saw?"

"What?" I muttered

"Well, I saw the full moon. And it was when I saw this I realized that we have been going out together for more than four years. During this period, you never made any serious considerations for marriage. You never made any preparations, you consider meeting my parents a drag, and you always treat our relationship as if it was something temporary. And it was there and then I realized that you never had any intention in marrying me at all."

I tried to think of words to defend myself, but before I could react, my girlfriend had beaten me to it, "well, since you had absolutely no intention of marrying me, I don't see the point of carrying on with our relationship. I just want to call you now and tell you that you don't have to look for me again. Don’t call me either."

She hung up the phone.

I stared at the receiver, totally mystified. Okay, so I wasn't the type of guy who would want to desperately be married, but what have I done to warrant this kind of treatment, especially at two am in the morning.

I put down the receiver of the phone, and decided against calling my girlfriend back right away. Nope, knowing her, she wouldn't want me to call her back now.

I went to the toilet to relieve myself. And as I was urinating as if there was no tomorrow, I thought about the words that my girlfriend said. What does she mean? Does she think that I don't love her, so therefore I don't make arrangements to get married with her? I think that must be what she meant. Well, people sometimes have a way of talking huge amount of words to hide the true intention of these words, and it is up to me to understand what it really meant. I sighed as I washed up my hands by the basin. Doesn’t the poor girl know that love does not equate to marriage? Just because I will want to marry somebody doesn't necessary mean I love the person, and just because I love the person doesn't necessary mean that I must marry her. I must make this point clear to her tomorrow, I thought. In our times and generation, this post-modern era, marriage doesn't mean anything. It certainly does not equate to love.

As I passed by the living room going back to my bedroom, I noticed that I forgotten to bolt up the front door before I slept. I walked towards the door to fasten the bolt, but just as I reached out my hand, I decided otherwise and headed back to my room. Well, nobody would want to rob a guy like me, and I’m sure even if they wanted to do so, they have to get past the security guards downstairs and the heavy and sturdy steel gates. No normal human being could have done that without waking me up. It would take a supernatural being to break through all those barriers. And the only supernatural being I know around town only attacks females.

I went back into my bedroom, climbed back onto my bed and closed my eyes in an attempt to slip back to dreamland as fast as possible. There is an important presentation at work tomorrow and I have to make sure I don't screw this up. Just as I closed my eyes, I suddenly have this eerie feeling that somebody else is in the room. The hair on the back of my neck started to stand and I dare not open my eyes for fear of what I might have seen. I could have sworn that I could hear the heavy breathings and slight grunting of something in the room. Don’t worry; I kept assuring myself despite the loud beatings of my heart, if the werewolf were in here, in this room with me, he would not attack me because I am not a female. This is only a color wolf interested in females.

I could feel the breathing sounds coming nearer and nearer, and all the while, I was lying very still on the bed, mentally reassuring myself that everything is going to be just all right.

No comments: