世界在破晓的瞬间前埋葬于深渊的黑暗

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Conversation With Blackjack On The Fading Universe

“And at that moment, I felt that I’ve reached some sort of pinnacle of my life. That kind of feeling just cannot be replicated anymore. From now onwards everything is just downhill.” I said to Blackjack as I threw the cigarette butt on the floor.

“The universe fades from that moment. 或者宇宙从此退色。” Blackjack replied philosophically.

“That’s a good analogy.” I said as I lighted another cigarette.

A few days later, I remembered this conversation and called Blackjack on his cell phone.

“So what’s the color of your universe today?” I asked.

“Fine, less bright but there is still color. What about yours?”

“Still fading.”

“You know, if your universe is fading, then it is up to you to put the colors back on. Paint it up again, just like what I’m doing right now.” Blackjack advised.

“If the universe is fading, it means that it is time to take black and white photos.” I replied.

“Oh, that’s a new one. What’s the rationale?”

“You see, the difference between color and black and white photography is that the latter emphasis a lot about judging the contrast, the texture and the lightings in the picture you are going to take. It’s like if the universe fades, one should just focus on black and white photography, because this allows one to acquire those skills which one cannot train while looking at color scenes. In this case, when the colors come back into my universe one of these days, I will be able to see things from a different perspective, or I’ll be able to see the whole picture more clearly.” I explained.

“Or you could say that you’ve already seen the faded colorless universe. There is nothing that would surprise you anymore. And you will be able to appreciate the colors of the universe.”

“Yeah, that too. Well said.”

“So you’re just letting things go on naturally?”

“Yeah, I’ll tell you what the faded universe looks like once all the colors are gone.”

“Okay, sure.”

No comments: